How it all began…

MS Add. 1042, four loose paper folios, written in 1873 as specimens of transcription.

These specimens were sent over from Nepal by Dr D. Wright in 1873, when it was proposed to obtain copies of various Sanskrit manuscripts existing in Nepal, for the University Library. It was from these leaves that the whole of the present collection took its rise.

Bendall, C. (1883), Catalogue of the Buddhist Sanskrit manuscripts in the University library, Cambridge, p. 26-27.

Two leaves of the Divyāvadāna (ff. 1v-2r), containing part of the Maitrakanyakāvadāna.

Folio 2v of the Divyāvadāna and folio 1r of the Laṅkāvatāra.

Two leaves from the beginning of the Laṅkāvatāra manuscript (ff. 1v-2r).

A leaf from the beginning of the Laṅkāvatāra (f. 2v), and one from the end of the manuscript.